Lynn to Showcase More Than 80 Curated Murals and Art Pieces by the End of Summer
LYNN, Beyond Walls’ “hometown,” marks the third stop on the Beyond Walls 2023 Street Art Tour which also includes the creation of dozens of murals in Holyoke, Chicopee, and Haverhill over a four-month period. Since its founding in 2017, Beyond Walls has worked with residents, businesses, a corps of volunteers, and local officials to bring public art, educational programs, and creative design projects to Lynn.
Beyond Walls helps galvanize communities, eliminate barriers to art, provides educational opportunities, supports local businesses, and promotes visitation to midsize urban areas that are the drivers behind regional economies around the state. For many years these communities have been recognized as the “gateway” to the American Dream. Today, 26 Massachusetts gateway cities are home to the vibrant and diverse communities that Beyond Walls strives to celebrate through art, curricula, events, programs, collaborations, and interactive design.
WHERE: Several prominent murals featured on Beyond Walls’ 2023 Street Art Tour can be found at the following addresses, with more locations to potentially be added:
- 87 Oxford Street
- Artist: Ernesto Maranje (@ernestomaranje). The mural’s design will explore themes of flora, fauna, biological evolution, and the interconnectedness of plants and animals.
- 75 Silsbee Street
- Artists: Kevin Ledo (@kevinledo) and Samantha Robison (@aptarts). Local youth groups will contribute to the mural’s planning, design, and execution, emphasizing sustainability and environmental awareness.
- Saturday, August 12th, 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm: Join Beyond Walls for free Mural Tours as part of the city’s Arts and Cultural Festival. Tours commence at Beyond Walls’ studios, 18 Mt. Vernon Street.
- Saturday, August 19th, 10:00 am: Beyond Walls partners with United Rentals for “Trash Bags to the Streets,” a community event involving downtown cleanup alongside appreciation of the street art collection. A BBQ and family-friendly art activity will follow at 11:30 am, held at Beyond Walls Studio, 18 Mt. Vernon Street.
- Thursday, August 24th, 6:00 pm: Join us for INSIDE THE MURAL: A Celebration of Street Art as a Portal Between Cultures. This exceptional night puts the spotlight on visiting Beyond Walls muralists, and invites you to step inside the murals of Lynn and beyond. We’ll embark on a curated mural tour as we reveal new pieces in the collection, and don’t miss a very special double-feature of Street Art Films Shorts that will take your breath away. Suggested Donation: $15.
- Saturday, August 26th, 1:00 pm: Experience a Mural Tour and Celebration of Art, Community, and Food. The event kicks off and concludes at Beyond Walls studios (18 Mt. Vernon Street), including a tour of over 80 murals and art pieces in downtown Lynn, followed by a mini-block party.